[sldev] Permissions

Argent Stonecutter secret.argent at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 09:01:13 PDT 2007

From: Tillie Ariantho <tillie at xp2.de>
> I am not sure if all the content creators will be happy with it.
> Sure you can tell them "it works". Will they believe you? What if
> it only works 'sometimes'?

Of course it only works 'sometimes'. It doesn't have to work 'all the
time'. That's the point. And out of all the scripts I've written in
SL, the three that sell the best are sold full perm, and two of them
are actually BSD licensed. They still sell better than the stuff
that's no-transfer.

And really, this is not something I can do anything about. This is
not something Linden Labs can do anything about. This is not
something Apple or Microsoft can do anything about. ALL DRM is honor
system DRM. That's inherent in the problem DRM is trying to solve.
Pretending that something better than "honor system" DRM is possible
outside a Science Fiction novel is fooling yourself, at best. Trying
to make DRM stronger than needed to remind people that they're doing
something dishonest, trying to actually keep a motivated person from
bypassing it, is worse than foolish... it's abusive.

> Some people want to see money for EVERY copy of the things they
> create.

I know. Since that's not technically possible to enforce, I guess
they'll have to learn to live with it.

> Maybe the bunch of creators will clean up then, some stay, some
> leave. We'll see. :)

Apple came right out and told the labels that they couldn't get
Science Fiction DRM, back before the iTunes Store opened. They seem
to be doing OK with that.