[sldev] Re: [META] Permissions - A content creator's view

Argent Stonecutter secret.argent at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 09:08:16 PDT 2007

On 25-Sep-2007, at 09:37, sldev-request at lists.secondlife.com wrote:
From: Tofu Linden <tofu.linden at lindenlab.com>
>>     * for sale/not for sale

> This seems a fine example of something which is not technically
> enforceable to an appreciable degree  [...] It's a great example,
> though, of an attribute which an item can at least carry around as
> a non-resettable flag so that the purchaser can know that the
> seller didn't have permission to be selling that item in the first
> place, albeit too late.  A lockdown-able free-text license field is
> perhaps the ultimate extrapolation of that idea, though also
> perhaps a technical cop-out.

I'm not sure that "cop-out" is appropriate. A free form license field
(however implemented) is about as far as you can go technically with
certain kinds of permissions.

Another thing that just occurred to me... how about two fields? One
settable by the creator, one settable by the owner, and both readable
by the client in world, or in inventory, or by a script for assets in-
world. The former would hold license information, contact
information, advertising, and formatted configuration information for
scripts. The latter could hold the owner's notes, and it could hold
configuration information as well.

This would also solve the problems of setting attributes on objects
for modified clients to read, AND provide a place other than
notecards for configuration information.

In JIRA as SVC-701.