[sldev] [Upcoming Changes] Website Viewer Authentication

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Fri Sep 28 15:08:37 PDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-09-28 at 14:31 -0700, David Kaprielian (Sabin) wrote:
> In any case, I wanted to take a moment and send to this list some
> security changes Linden is going to make in order to further the efforts
> of anti-fraud and phishing prevention.  Pretty soon we're going to
> consolidate logins to our website so we can eventually centralize the
> process.

And here I thought we were trying to decentralize things.

> This method works for Windows and Mac machines, but unfortunately due to
> the nature of how Linux handles secondlife:/// links (it doesn't), we
> have been unable to come up with a proper, catch-all solution that would
> allow this method of login to work for 100% of the Linux using
> population.  We estimate (aka: make an educated guess) that we can catch
> about 70% of Linux users at first and will be working to get that number
> as close to 100% as possible.  However, because there are so many
> different distributions and configurations of Linux available, there's
> always the possibility of people who cannot launch Second Life from the
> website.

Which is why LL should focus on working with Linux distributions to get
Second Life into the distributions themselves, rather than distributing
binary blobs.

> With this information, I wanted to get your feedback!  Do you think
> there's a way we could make website viewer authentication work for all
> Linux users?  Do you have any specifications for how this will interact
> with your third party viewers and applications?  Anything I haven't
> covered that you're worried about?  Thanks for your time everyone, we'd
> love to hear what you have to say.

The viewer already has a web browser in it. (Every program attempts to
expand until it contains a web browser that can read email. Those
programs which cannot so expand are replaced by ones which can.)