[sldev] Re: [META] Formal critique of new auth mechanism?

Argent Stonecutter secret.argent at gmail.com
Sat Sep 29 14:03:48 PDT 2007

On 29-Sep-2007, at 15:23, Rob Lanphier wrote:
> I suspect that there's a lot of you who sorta agree with one
> another, and since you're vaguely united in opposing the new
> authentication proposal, you aren't being very critical of one
> another's arguments.

Trust me, if I had any objection to anyone else's arguments against
the proposal I would have started throwing rocks at them already. Ask
anyone, hell, I'm sure you've seen me do that here. SO... please
consider the possibility that you're seeing agreement because people
are actually agreeing, not that they're being quiet for tactical
reasons.

Seriously, I haven't seen anyone write anything that I don't actually
agree with yet. About the only thing I can think of even as an issue
is that I think that things like aggressive use of one-time pads or
restricted logins are probably overkill, don't actually address the
biggest problems, and I would object to them being made mandatory. As
options for people who want them, though, I'm all in favor... and
since the consensus is that ANY new mechanisms should be made
optional I've got nothing to say against any of the comments on the
subject so far.