[sldev] OpenID vs. current proposal vis a vis security

Rob Lanphier robla at lindenlab.com
Sat Sep 29 21:22:38 PDT 2007

Hi all,

Thanks for posting this;
https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Viewer_Authentication_Critique

The proposal raises, among other things, OpenID as a possible solution.
This is something that has been kicked around at Linden Lab, and we may
well get around to implementing it one of these days.

Let's say we did implement an OpenID Identity Provider, and switched the
viewer to instead require OpenID (making the viewer act as both a
relying party and a user agent).  Would that be more secure than the
current proposal?  If so, why?  It seems to me many of the criticisms
associated with this current proposal would also apply to moving to OpenID.

Rob