[sldev] OpenID vs. current proposal vis a vis security

Matthew Dowd matthew.dowd at hotmail.co.uk
Sun Sep 30 03:25:49 PDT 2007

The original proposal mentioned OpenID, so it isn't clear whether OpenID is a (partial) answer to the flexibility issue (but not the security) or in fact that one of the objectives of the proposal was future support of OpenID!

If no-one objects I'll add the following to the summary on the critique:

Support for OpenID and other identity metasystems would increase the flexibility and offer features such as brokered identity verification. However, these would only be part of the solution, and although the proposed mechanism would provide a way for future support of these, there are other ways this could be achieved. Future support for OpenID is perhaps a topic for a seperate discussion and debate, but a open debate on this should happen.

Matthew> Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 11:02:28 +0200> From: Anders at Arnholm.se> To: robla at lindenlab.com> Subject: Re: [sldev] OpenID vs. current proposal vis a vis security> CC: sldev at lists.secondlife.com> > Rob Lanphier wrote:> > Let's say we did implement an OpenID Identity Provider, and switched the> > viewer to instead require OpenID (making the viewer act as both a> > relying party and a user agent). Would that be more secure than the> > current proposal? If so, why? It seems to me many of the criticisms> > associated with this current proposal would also apply to moving to OpenID.> > > OpenID and the current proposal is unrelated, moving to OpenID is mostly > a web-page backed question. E.g. something that is done in the background.> > > -- > This message has been scanned for viruses and> dangerous content by MailScanner, and is> believed to be clean.> > _______________________________________________> Click here to unsubscribe or manage your list subscription:> /index.html