[sldev] CMake status [was Re: 1.19.1.4 RC - Debug Build]

Bryan O'Sullivan bos at lindenlab.com
Mon Apr 7 11:26:04 PDT 2008

Robin Cornelius wrote:

> I know i just requested a feature freeze in another mail but i see
> cmake as a *major* bug fix to the build process not a feature :-)

Yes, that's the intention.

> cmake *should* be capable of generating correct build files for the 3
> supported platforms (VS project files, xcode project files and unix
> makefiles) and as they all share a common base things should not get
> out of sequence.

The version of CMake we're currently using (2.4.8) supports Visual
Studio 2003 and 2005, which have substantially different project file
formats, and also nmake, if you like pretending you're still using DOS.
  We've internally used both VS2003 and VS2005.

On OS X, it supports both XCode and GNU Make.  I've built our code with
both, with no problems.

And on Linux, it supports both GNU Make and KDevelop.  Again, I've used
both to build the code.

We haven't tried VS2008 yet, but that's the only base not covered so far.

> PS: Any idea on the release schedule for cmake?

I'm currently finishing off the merge of the Havok4 code base.  Once it
passes our regular QA processes on both the viewer and server sides,
we'll be folding it into our release (aka "trunk") branch.  It's already
been through one round of server-side QA with a few minor glitches, and
I use the CMake-built viewer as my default viewer now.

As for an actual date, think end of the month or so.  If you want to
feed me any more patches so that they're in right from the beginning,
now's the time.

	<b