[sldev] Re: Feature freeze

Lawson English lenglish5 at cox.net
Thu Apr 10 09:55:56 PDT 2008

Lawson English wrote:
> Paul Oppenheim (Poppy Linden) wrote:
> [...]
>
>> Unfortunately it's really hard work for what may be seen as little
>> benefit. A case needs to be made that a modular architecture is more
>> important than, say, agni DB scalability, inventory loss, LSL
>> refactoring, build system refactoring, or whatever else engineering
>> is working on. (Contrary to belief, not everyone is working on
>> "flashy new features" no matter how often people repeat that meme
>> with no actual internal information.) It's also more difficult than
>> your average task, because you're essentially developing an API,
>> which you Better Not Screw Up.
>
> Well, thing is, it could be done in parallel with everything else if
> the APIs were properly documented (those who have ears, let them
> hear...).

I meant "if the *protocols* were documented properly," not the API. The
API in the viewercan change quite drastically as long as the protocols
are the same (look at libsl). Problem is, without well-documented
protocols that are independent of the implementation, we're left with
the buggy un-re-factored client as the de facto protocol doc, which
kinda makes it impossible to refactor the client efficiently.

L.