[sldev] 1.20 wreaking havok with nvidia drivers under vista

Thomas Grimshaw tom at streamsense.net
Thu Apr 10 13:41:35 PDT 2008

Hi folks,

I am having terrible trouble with the new 1.20 RC, the client seems to
absolutely destabilise my nvidia drivers.

First of all i see small freezes, then these freezes start becoming more
pronounced, and then the screen starts blanking once every 10 seconds
(with the vista "the display driver stopped responding and has
recovered" notice).. and then this happens every 5 seconds.. and then
the system hangs.

I'm using the 1.19.1 client with total stability and no display driver
issues (as well as other games i've tried to make sure it's not my
system at fault).

Has anyone else experienced anything of this nature?

Here's my environment:

CPU: AMD (Athlon XP X2 5000+) (2611 MHz)
Memory: 3071 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows Vista  (Build 6000)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce 8800 GTX/PCI/SSE2/3DNOW!

I'm also using the latest nVidia drivers (i was using older drivers, and
upgraded to see if it fixed the problem, it did not.)

Cheers

Tom