[sldev] sljirastats.com Linden Metrics Report

Mike Monkowski monkowsk at watson.ibm.com
Wed Apr 16 14:45:31 PDT 2008

Rob Lanphier wrote:
> On 4/16/08 12:02 PM, Jason Giglio wrote:
>> "Open" bugs have been on a steady climb.  It started at 1547 when
>> sljirastats.com began collecting data, and is now at 2717.   This means
>> we are averaging 8.6 additional unresolved bugs per day.  This is after
>> subtracting fixed and resolved issues.  This number is a critical
>> metric; Linden Lab is falling more and more behind every day.
>
> How does this compare to other open source and public projects?  My
> suspicion is that almost every active open source project experiences
> net positive growth in number of open bugs.  I'd like to make sure we're
> not being measured against an unreasonably high standard.

I don't think being open source would *add* to the number of unresolved
bugs.  Why do you think it would?

I worked for many years on a consumer software project with several
million customers that had on the order of a hundred or so bugs at any
given time.  Bug fixes were considered the top priority.  It was a
matter of pride to have no open bugs related to your part of the code.
Linden appears to have a *very* different attitude.

> We have a resolution internally called "someday maybe", which is one I'm
> personally not a fan of (since the issue isn't "resolved", just
> acknowledged as a wart we're going to have to live with for a while).
> We've recently discussed making a matching PJIRA resolution, and
> concluded that a) we can't, because we still want to allow votes and b)
> we'd get a public flogging over it.  The conclusion of that discussion
> is to represent that as "small" priority, possibly renaming "small" to
> "someday maybe", or adding a new "someday maybe" priority, and I'm
> hoping we can actually change our internal usage to match.

C'mon.  "Someday maybe"?  Right now that covers nearly all of the open
issues. ;-)

Mike