[sldev] sljirastats.com Linden Metrics Report

Jason Giglio gigstaggart at gmail.com
Wed Apr 16 18:20:10 PDT 2008

Rob Lanphier wrote:
> Because anyone can file issues, and you can't get the people who
> disagree about whether an issue is really an issue into the same room
> and lock them there until they agree on a resolution.  With proprietary
> software you can.
>
> It's also about what I've observed:
>
> Linux kernel.  1298 open issues out of 10460 since the tracker was set
> up in late 2002:
> http://bugzilla.kernel.org/

This sounds like a decent ratio, about 12%.

Keep in mind my 8+ bugs growth per day number is *only bugs*.  I do not
count feature requests in that number.

> Firefox:  Query timed out before I could get a result:
> https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/

I'm not sure Firefox is a good example.  They aren't exactly model
citizens in the open source world.

> MediaWiki:  2869 open issues out of 13768 created since the tracker was
> created in mid 2004.  Issues I've personally been watching have sat open
> for years:
> https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/

This is about 20%,

And I hate to keep bringing them up as my "good example", but
Ghostscript is about 500,000 lines of code, which puts them in the same
ballpark as say, just the SL client.

They have 369 open bugs out of 4015 total filed, slightly under 10%,
rillian reports they do have a very slightly positive open bug growth rate.

Along with your data, it looks like this 10% open ratio for good
projects keeps coming up.

Linden lab is running 2717 out of 7706 across all projects, or 35% open.
  Even your examples were better than this.

-Jason