[sldev] Victory Conditions

Thomas Grimshaw tom at streamsense.net
Thu Apr 17 04:00:00 PDT 2008

Paul Cook wrote:
> 1. The list simply fails to load, showing waiting/loading/hippos
> permanantly. It is acceptable, and even expected, that this would
> appear on there temporarily, The problem occurs when one has been
> online for several minutes, and still nothing shows.

I have not seen this problem for a good time now, I would guess it only
occurs when either the user or the server is having bandwidth or packet
loss issues.

> 3. Sinking into surfaces
>
> This is most often seen  when crossing regions on foot, less so when
> flying. The avatar seems to move without colliding with things on the
> other side of the crossing for a few seconds. In addition, the
> avatar's trajectory seems to get altered. Theoretically, walking
> across a straight bridge between sims should be alright, but in
> actuality, the avatar starts moving diagonally downwards, instead of
> contonueing straight forwards as they were when the crossing started.

This is due to the fact that (for some reason) the sim does all the
collision detection, and since you're switching between sims, there is none.

I have little or no idea why the sim does all the collision detection in
second life, it would be far more efficient to move it client side.

> Ultimately, the worst problem. Simply the time it takes for a region
> crossing to complete. This is affected by attachments and scripts in
> the user, as we know. But it does also seem to depend a lot on the
> performance of the sim. Aside from upgrading the hardware of every
> sim, the only solution I can think of for this, is preemptively
The client already automatically connects to neighbouring sims, so I
can't imagine this being tremendously challenging to implement...
> So, Victory conditions
Let's go get drunk.

~Tom