[sldev] sljirastats.com Linden Metrics Report

Argent Stonecutter secret.argent at gmail.com
Fri Apr 18 05:14:03 PDT 2008

On 2008-04-18, at 06:48, Felix Duesenburg wrote:
> Argent Stonecutter wrote:
>> On 2008-04-18, at 06:07, Felix Duesenburg wrote:
>>> I always thought this is awkward. Shouldn't we do it e.g. in the
>>> fashion the Qt toolkit works: with a preprocessor that turns the
>>> xml gui definitions into code at compile time, with the language
>>> being a configurable parameter. These things are not dynamic
>>> anyway, so why aren't they part of the main app?
>>

>> Because then they wouldn't be skinnable or editable and you
>> wouldn't be able to go in and say "if you remove this section from
>> your overlay panel xml file you can get rid of the damned release
>> keys button".
>

> It doesn't occur to me that this is a feature people really want.
> Is it?

It's a feature that most people don't care about most of the time,
but when they do need it they REALLY need it. I have provided patches
for these files on Jira and on the blog and in-world and people have
been VERY grateful for them.

> If those who like to edit their gui files happen to be mostly
> developers (which I cannot verify), wouldn't it suffice that they
> can compile their own?

I'm a developer, but I don't want to have to maintain a development
environment on Windows as well as OS X to tweak the viewer. And every
time I read this list and see more questions about compatibility
problems with this or that version of visual studio that gets
reinforced.

> The whole thing would run faster and more reliable.

It wouldn't be significantly faster... these files are only read at
startup and they're not a significant part of the startup process.

It wouldn't be significantly more reliable. I don't think I have have
EVER had a problem caused by these files, except where I caused it by
editing them... and whether I was rebuilding the client after editing
them or not wouldn't make much difference there.

As for language translations... you want to require translators to be
translators as well?