[sldev] sljirastats.com Linden Metrics Report & Public Perception

Carsten Juttner carjay at gmx.net
Fri Apr 18 15:11:49 PDT 2008

Jason Giglio wrote:
> I don't know.  It may help, but it doesn't address the root cause of the
> problem:  That Linden Lab views themselves as a separate entity from the
> community; that the community development process is completely outside
> the actual development of the client.

True and that's actually my problem currently, too. I don't care that
much about my patches not getting in the viewer but more about the lack
of communication between Linden developers and OS developers. I see
sldev and JIRA as a communication platform.

But if you e.g. submit a source code bug on JIRA it can happen that the
comment is read by a non-developer Linden first who simply marks the bug
as "needs more info - resolved" instead of assigning it to the
appropriate developer(s). I can understand that developers are
unwillling to take a look at all the user provided JIRA entries but at
least "source code" entries should be treated differently.

Sometimes, there's not a reply at all. All of this is very frustrating.

The lack or fear of communication due to what seems to be some kind of
"culture clash" problem (open source vs. commercial development) is one
of the things that need to be tackled or a lot of good developers will
simply turn away because they feel their efforts going nowhere.

That is not to say that there this is valid for all Lindens, quite
contrary, some go out of their way to help the OS community, but they
currently seem to be a noble exception.

Regards,
Carsten