[sldev] Linden Lab Navigations and Landmark Project

Felix Duesenburg kfa at gmx.net
Sat Apr 19 06:23:03 PDT 2008

Anna Gulaev wrote:
> *Callum Lerwick* wrote:
>
>     How about we just nuke profiles out of the client and SL protocol
>     entirely and push them out onto the web?
>

>     Then integrate it with Facebook and Google Apps and Mugshot and so on.
>     Apparently the kids these days call this a "mashup"...
>

> I call it a tacky mess of ugly crap.
>
> Think about what a profile is. When I get a profile I know what I'll
> find there. One brief statement about the person's SL life, with a
> picture. One brief statement about the person's FL, with a picture, if
> he's so inclined to share. One page of favorite items that tells me
> about the person's tastes and potentially offers links to interesting
> things.
>
> Restricted? Yes. But it's also concise and there's a limit to how
> tacky it can be made.
>
> There's also a web tab, so the person can set up a facebook page and
> from there they can link all the other tacky crap they want. Wisely
> (for security and privacy) the viewer asks my permission to view this
> external content.
>
> If profiles go the way of other things and become web-based, at least
> keep them under viewer-generated control so they remain consistent and
> concise, and keep them on LL-owned property.

The idea has some appeal initially, but I admit that lasted only as long
as looking only at the technical side. Personally, I don't like "mashup"
and I'm definitely out of that generation.

Adding to that, I'd like to get a choice about where my profile appears
and where not. Publishing something on one platform (SL) does not
automatically include my consent to have it republished on another
platform (www). I'm already not too happy with SL search results being
available on the web, although I probably nodded it through with the TOS
just to stay in the game.