[sldev] Linden Lab Navigations and Landmark Project

Matthew Dowd matthew.dowd at hotmail.co.uk
Sun Apr 20 06:31:56 PDT 2008

> > How about we just nuke profiles out of the client and SL protocol> > entirely and push them out onto the web?> >> They're on the web already-> http://world.secondlife.com/resident/83b3987f-9520-4275-8efe-3ac13dd3f635
Yes, and many argued when LL did this due to the new google search appliance, that publicly accessible web versions of profiles should be

a) opt in, not opt out
b) independent of opting in to search

LL's disregard of people's privacy when implementing the new search is not a particularly good precedence to follow for further work on profiles. If anything future work on profiles (and search) should get us back to the original situation (publically accessible web profiles being opt in, and other features not being dependent on opting in).

This is of course a different argument to those that internally communications between viewer and sim regarding profiles could use HTTP(S)/HTML based protocols and standards - although the problems and performance of the current embedded HTML browser would make me personally reluctant to use HTML formatting for such things/

Matthew