[sldev] What is the point of firstlook and giving feedback to LL

Soft soft at lindenlab.com
Mon Apr 21 17:17:12 PDT 2008

More to it, the contributor agreement is an attempt at getting a
single statement blessed by our legal department that the patches
really are offered under specific terms of use. A mixture of
differently worded offers to random Lindens through random channels
would paralyze us. We'd constantly be stuck, trying to figure out what
we can and can't do with code incorporating code under all those
different offers.

Even if we were a pure GPL project of this scale, as a commercial
project we'd be mad to work without a contributor agreement. Take a
look at the SCO debacle to see what ad hoc licensing work can lead to.
An event like that would be trouble not just for LL, but for anyone
else redistributing the code.