[sldev] Linden Lab Navigations and Landmark Project

Ed Anuff ed at anuff.com
Mon Apr 21 23:32:47 PDT 2008

Far be if from me to challenge conventional wisdom on the subject, but I'll
do it anyway.  It looks like the new trend in large scale internet services
is moving the other direction at the moment, Google, Amazon, etc. are
getting people (first their business partners, now end-users and independent
developers) to move code and content into their grids and datacenters.  As
to a content creator hosting their assets on a server they have "complete
control" over, most high traffic websites use content networks or
specialized hosting to handle their data transfers, no one who's hosting any
sizable amount of rich media content is doing it themselves - they might
have "complete control" via a management interface to Akamai, but if they're
serving images from a machine they bought and own which sits in their server
rack, for example, they're doing something wrong or they're very
small-time.  The LL grid should serve the purpose of being the cloud
computing/content network optimized for serving content to virtual worlds.
Now, whether it makes sense to have your datacenter on a fault line is a
different question entirely.