Contribution agreements (Re: [sldev] What is the point of firstlook and giving feedback to LL)

Justin Ryan justizin at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 09:36:45 PDT 2008

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 8:31 PM, Argent Stonecutter
<secret.argent at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2008-04-21, at 20:22, Justin Ryan wrote:
>
> > GPL code is not valuable simply because it exists in GPL, but because
> > it is, or should be, original ideas protected from ever being non-GPL.
> >

>  That's certainly a point of view.
>
>  It's not shared by the entire open source community.

Hello Argent.  The following is NOT an opinion:

  Open-Source != Free Software

You have a lot of reading to do.  The problem is frankly that it is
unethical and illegal without proper permission to take Free Software
and turn it into Open-Source.  I simply have a lot of trouble
believing that everything contributed under this agreement will be an
original idea, not derived from another GPL work that someone not
agreeing to these terms have rights over.

I've a feeling that for many people, ignorance is bliss.

Frankly this is more of a plea to Linden Lab not to follow the dark
path which mostly puts them at risk and puts off the Free Software
Community, which has given them ALL of the building blocks of their
business, shrinkwrapped with a bow.

--
Justin Alan Ryan
Independent Interaction Architect