[sldev] What is the point of firstlook and giving feedback to LL

Henri Beauchamp sldev at free.fr
Tue Apr 22 10:12:57 PDT 2008

On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 12:51:10 -0700, Harold Brown wrote:

> The release client is not GPL.  Without the contribution agreement
> they can't add that code to the release client.   Which means it then
> can't be added to the GPL code, because that code is derived from the
> closed license release client.

The release client is not GPL because it includes code licensed under
other licenses than the GPL.
But to build the release client, they _do_ use GPL sources (among which
the ones of viewer) together with non-GPL ones.

And guess what... All my patches only apply to the GPLed source of the
viewer.

So, let's do some very high level mathematics...

GPL sources + GPL patches = GPL sources

Wow !... What a discovery !!!

Like I said, LL does not need any license agreement from me to apply
my GPL patches to their GPL sources.

Beside, by posting my patches onto the JIRA, I did implicitely agree
to their license agreement. Citation:
"All submissions to this site are governed by Second Life Project
Contribution Agreement. By submitting patches and other information
using this site, you acknowledge that you've read, understood, and
agreed to those terms."

So, what's the matter ?

Henri.