[sldev] What is the point of firstlook and giving feedback to LL

Matthew Dowd matthew.dowd at hotmail.co.uk
Tue Apr 22 10:54:21 PDT 2008

LL sources are GPL but LL, as the owner of the code, has the right to make their source code available under different negotiated licenses if they wish to do so - and indeed have done so in the case of the CSI viewer.

If source contributions are made as GPL, whilst LL could still make the source available as GPL, if LL wished to make the source code available under a different license it would need to seek explicit permission from those contributors. For that permission have legal viability, that permission needs to be signed and attributable to a real person (hence the blanket statement on the jira is not sufficient).

The contributor agreement is essential prior permission to allow LL to do that.

Some might have objections to giving LL the right to effectively sell their code if LL wish to do so without going back to the contributor. It should be noted however that

a) the majority of patches have no real value outside of the SL viewer
b) you still have full rights to the code yourself under the agreement and can sell or make it available under a free non-GPL license if you wish
c) if the patch does have significant value (e.g. a new algorithm for rendering 3D which delivers high end GPU results on a 8Mhz 8086 processor for example), you do have the option *not* to contribute the source, or negotiate a different license with LL

Unfortunately your wish for anonymity is precisely why LL can't accept your patches. If they did accept "Henri Beauchamp"'s patches, and negotiated a commercial license such as an updated CSI viewer, and then some RL French person claimed that LL had distributed code under a non-GPL license which they were not entitled to distribute under a non-GPL license, they would have no evidence to defend themselves to the contrary which would stand up in court. If, on the other hand, they had a document signed by a real person, LL at the very least have evidence acceptable by a court that they acted in good faith.

Matthew