Dazzle comments (was RE: [sldev] Viewer Roadmap)

Matthew Dowd matthew.dowd at hotmail.co.uk
Thu Apr 24 12:01:53 PDT 2008

> The skinning team is addressing the problem directly as Steve said with > Skinning Phase 1 <https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Skinning#Phase_1>. > But it's not gonna be released soon enough for a lot of people so this > "plaster" as you call it is a compromise in an attempt to respond in > some way to that feedback and get something to those people quickly.
But if you hold off introducing a new colour scheme until after phase 1, then you *don't* need to respond to those people quickly: you don't need to rush out some sticky plaster!
 > It's better to take such > things slow to reduce the risk of introducing bugs in other parts of the > system, or design flaws that limit our forward compatibility. In the > end it probably won't take a whole lot of code to implement user > switchable skins,

(it doesn't - I've had a go ;-)  )

> but we have to do it precisely right because we don't > want to just release a shortsighted implementation that will end up with > users skins getting broken 3 releases later.
These are almost precisely the same arguments why you shouldn't rush out with a short-sighted (no pun intended) re-skinning which will cause more problems, and require quick interim measures and tweaks to compensate over the next 2 or 3 releases!

The underlying Dazzle code is fine (well there are still some problems in 1.20RC3 but that might not be related to the Dazzle code per se - a lot of the problems seem to be related to using boost to handle configuration setting); the Dazzle skin as a test of the new Dazzle functionality is fine; but the Dazzle skin is nowhere near ready for use in a release viewer yet - that's the overwhelming feedback from jira, blog comments and forums...

Matthew