[sldev] SL Database purge

Matthew Dowd matthew.dowd at hotmail.co.uk
Wed Apr 30 08:14:38 PDT 2008

> As for things you don't have permissions to, as others > have already pointed out, this would be difficult to implement without > also making it easy to bypass permissions. This same dev time could (and > I believe should) be spent eliminating remaining and newly invented > causes of causes of content loss.
Mmmm, this seems like a never ending bottomless pit of resource time. Given the complexity of the SL backend systems, given all the additional things outside of LL control (bugs in the underlying software such as MySQL, hardware failures, network problems/latency etc.) there must be literally thousands of unknown ways in which inventory loss might happen, many extremely difficult to reproduce. Every new update to the SL server code, every update to the network infrastructure etc. has the potential to add new content loss causes. Trying to pin down and fix every one sounds to me like trying to cut off all the heads of a hydra!

Accepting that even after an infinite amount of development time, content loss would still inevitably happen, and implementing something to rectify the situation when it did, would, IMHO, be a better use of dev time. Dealing with permissions *is* an issue but there are quite a large number idea of how this might be solvable on the jira.

Matthew