[sldev] Google Summer of Code 2008 update

Dave Parks davep at lindenlab.com
Wed Apr 30 21:25:24 PDT 2008

You're mixing direct lighting and ambient occlusion.  Ambient occlusion
is the approximation of shadows that would be generated if light was
coming from all directions.  Direct shadowing (creating shadows from the
sun) is done with hardware shadow maps, which complements SSAO very well
but is a totally separate technique.

That, too, is being researched internally with some good results, but
it's too early to promise anything, so here's a picture you can take how
you will:

http://picasaweb.google.com/Runitai/DeferredRendering/photo#5192943343115923442