[sldev] mystery compiler output (Re: setting up version control)

Dale Mahalko dmahalko at gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 07:29:36 PDT 2008

On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 12:47 PM, Ryan Williams (Which)
<rdw at lindenlab.com> wrote:

> The .hgignore file will help you here:
>
> http://www.selenic.com/mercurial/hgignore.5.html
>
> I believe you will want to also un-add any files that are purely build
> artifacts (the .sln is one of those since it's generated by cmake).

Okay, .hgignore created:

---------------------------------------
# use glob syntax.
syntax: glob

# Ignore compiler project/solution files
*.vcproj
*.sln

# Ignore Visual Studio 2003 compiler temporary files
*.ilk
*.res
*.pyn
*.pyc
*.ncb
*.suo
*.pch
*.obj
*.pdb
*.idb
*.lib
BuildLog.*

# Ignore compiled binaries
*.dll
*.exe

# Ignore this ignore file
.hgignore
---------------------------------------

This leaves six files which did not exist when the repository was
created, before the debug compile:

---------------------------------------
C:\SL_Viewer_Builds\1_20_15\linden\indra>hg status
? lscript\lscript_compile\lex_yy.cpp
? lscript\lscript_compile\ytab.cpp
? lscript\lscript_compile\ytab.h
? lscript\lscript_compile\ytab.output
? newview\app_settings\message.xml
? newview\app_settings\message_template.msg
---------------------------------------

I assume these files are compiled output, and that I should be adding
this list to the .hgignore file.

But if so, where did the lex_yy.cpp / ytab.* come from?

Also the new XML preferences system is not yet well-documented on the wiki.

I presume that this is the original that can be safely edited:
- \linden\etc\message.xml

And this is compiler output which get overwritten with each new
compile and so should not ever be touched:
- \linden\indra\newview\app_settings\message.xml

Likewise for the protocol template, this is the original:
- \linden\scripts\messages\message_template.msg

And this is compiler output:
- \linden\indra\newview\app_settings\message_template.msg

- Scalar Tardis / Dale Mahalko