[sldev] Landmarks & Navigation Project suggestion: Mozilla Weave

SignpostMarv Martin me at signpostmarv.name
Sun Aug 10 08:13:27 PDT 2008

Snippets copied from the Mozilla Weave project page:

"Weave <http://labs.mozilla.com/2007/12/introducing-weave/> is a Mozilla
Labs’ project to develop a coherent framework and platform for deeply
integrating online services with the browser."

"Support for major browser data types, including bookmarks, browsing
history, cookies, saved passwords, saved form data, and tabs."

      Overview of the Idea

   1. browser metadata is pushed into the cloud (e.g. bookmarks,
      history, customizations, etc.)
   2. this metadata is transparently reflected everywhere an individual
      gets online
   3. we provide a basic framework for easily sharing and delegating
      access to this metadata to friends, family and third-parties
   4. we build tools and APIs to extend this framework and to provide
      new user experiences

</end snippet>

Not entirely sure where the project is at this point, but I'm suggesting
Mozilla Weave tech as a possible persistence solution for Landmarks &
Navigation history.

Given that it's possible to maintain your own Mozilla Weave server, this
would allow Residents to maintain their data independently of Linden
Lab, which is an important step given the direction of OGP.

Given that one of the ideas behind Weave is to "push customizations into
the cloud", this opens up the possibility of persisting your SL
Preferences, XUI mods (and in the future, viewer plugins ?) away from
the machine you use mainly (doubly handy in cases of the Viewer
overwriting these customisations).

http://labs.mozilla.com/projects/weave/
http://lifehacker.com/400110/set-up-mozilla-weave-on-your-own-server

~ Marv.