[sldev] Scalable Sim Question

Argent secret.argent at gmail.com
Mon Aug 11 08:43:54 PDT 2008

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 8:58 AM, Lawson English <lenglish5 at cox.net> wrote:

> I don't know about inefficient. If you think it is than why don't you
> contact ZEro and Zha and Tess and so on to help them fix the design or at
> least have them explain to me why my analysis is off.

If I understand you correctly, every asset request by the client will be
sent to the agent domain, which will contact the resource domain, fetch the
asset, and forward it to the client.

That doesn't seem scalable.

Are you sure you're interpreting the design correctly? It doesn't seem to me
that the agent domain could be doing the proxying you're suggesting.

> And as far as "never" allowing something goes, I never said that. However,
> an Agent Domain is in a unique position to do mischief and has to be at
> least as trusted as the most trusted external grid that the SL servers agree
> to deal with.

That means that you wouldn't ever be able to log on to Opengrid and teleport
to Secondlife, no?

Pirates Bay would be an extreme case, but the same logic would apply to
every other agent domain.