[sldev] Check this

Dahlia Trimble dahliatrimble at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 21:47:44 PDT 2008

They certainly have done a nice job with textures and the lighting isn't
bad. Looks totally feasable to me if they stream a small size video,
something like 640x480. Maybe even easier if several viewers can share
portions of the same perspective at the same time. The problem probably
comes when they have a lot of fast moving objects, many viewers with
different perspectives, 1080p resolutions, high frame rates, and more people
wanting to view than they have hardware to support. I imagine the costs of
the hardware in the could could also be quite high if they want very high
quality output. I doubt they can achieve high quality rendering at
acceptable frame rates without GPU support even if the resolutions are
small.

I wonder how much of that is video playing on backdrops (or even still
images) and how much is actual 3D rendering? It's a common technique to mix
the two.