[sldev] "What does triage mean exactly?" (Re: building with cmake)

Rob Lanphier robla at lindenlab.com
Fri Aug 22 11:12:03 PDT 2008

On 8/22/08 1:57 AM, second loop wrote:
> i tried building the maint-render-7 branch tonight, to begin working
> on updating the umich stereoscopic patches found here:
> http://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-2972
>
> i was wondering, what does triage mean exactly?

I'm going to zero in on this part of your question and retitle, since
this could result in a pretty big tangent.  I'm assuming you're
referring to that "Last triaged" field that keeps getting touched.

When dealing with a huge list of bugs, a typical function in any
project/company/whatever is to have a triage meeting to decide
priorities of issues.  The metaphor is borrowed from the medical field,
and the (literally) gory details are here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triage

The field was originally put there to flag when issues were discussed in
one of the public bug triage meetings here:
https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Bug_triage

What we've been using this for lately is "when was the last time Lindens
got together and talked about this issue?".  We try to comment and be as
helpful as we can, but we're often trying to deal with dozens of issues
in a single meeting, so often you'll see us bump the date without
comment.  If you see one of us do that, and wonder what we discussed,
feel free to IM the person who did that in-world.  No guarantees we'll
have anything useful to say about it, but we're more inclined to respond
if we know that someone is interested.

Rob