Exporting stuff, permissions, and licenses (was Re: [sldev] realXtend Global inventory tests successful)

ordinal.malaprop at fastmail.fm ordinal.malaprop at fastmail.fm
Sun Aug 24 13:13:55 PDT 2008

On 24 Aug 2008, at 20:56, Lawson English wrote:

> ordinal.malaprop at fastmail.fm wrote:
>>
>> On 24 Aug 2008, at 19:46, Lawson English wrote:
>>
>>> I know it might have felt like this was a technocracy where we
>>> started, but do recognize there was a tremendous amount of
>>> technical framework that had to get laid down before we could even
>>> get to the point of actually having a rational discussion about
>>> what the options were, and we are now approximately at that point.
>>
>> The thing is of course that requirements _always_ come before
>> technical specs. Or should do.
>>
> Sure. But in this case, the problem space wasn't even remotely well-
> defined, so trying to determine the "requirements"
> was like putting the horse before the cart when you didn't even know
> what a cart looked like, or the horse, for that matter.

I think that we did all know what the cart and horse looked like.
Well, I don't want to stretch the metaphor too far - we knew what the
desired outcome was, or at least, we were quite capable of coming to
what the desired outcome was without reference to anything technical,
because the desired outcome was not a technical one, rather concerned
with how and when assets were distributed.

Technical frameworks are what one develops _after_ the desired outcome
has been decided on; technology is the slave of desire. Perhaps it
might turn out that the desired outcome is technically impossible, in
which case the specifications need to be revised. But they always need
to come first.