[sldev] My question about intellectual property and Second Life

Darien Caldwell darien.caldwell at gmail.com
Fri Aug 29 00:46:35 PDT 2008

When people are talking IP, it's just used as a general term, and
there's nothing worng with that. There are no lawyers here, so it
doesn't have to be 'legally meaningful'.  It's a lot easier to say:
"I want my IP protected." than to say "I want my
Copyright/Patents/Textures/Music/Video/Animations/Desgin/Story/Whatever
else protected."
It's shorthand, and for the purpose of debate perfectly fine. And when
you own copyright on something, you do own it, so it is property. Just
like when you own a dog or cat, it's property. Although I know some
would debate that assertion too. :)