[sldev] My question about intellectual property and Second Life

Argent Stonecutter secret.argent at gmail.com
Fri Aug 29 05:07:35 PDT 2008

Regardless of anything else, the limited rights created by the SL
permissions system are *useful*, so whether Linden Labs is legally
required to enforce them or not is irrelevant... I think it unlikely
that Linden Labs wants to see them removed. If anything, they have
expanded them over time (unwisely, in my opinion, in some cases...
for example they abandoned their original commitment to things like
the doctrine of first sale)... so it's clear that they see this
mechanism to be useful. So it's not really useful to frame the
discussion in terms of what LL is required to do. Instead, ask what
it is useful for them to do.