[sldev] A rather perculiar idea (hear me out)

Argent Stonecutter secret.argent at gmail.com
Sat Aug 30 18:14:53 PDT 2008

On 2008-08-30, at 19:38, Tammy Nowotny wrote:
> If you disallowed web bugs altogether, you would have to nerf the
> ability to embed images in the web pages, which is one of the very
> most basic features of HTML.

You can store images in notecards. References to "<image
src=imagename>" from the notecard would refer to images in the notecard.

> (Unless of course you wanted to host all the images in-world, which
> seems problematic: for one thing, you would have to store millions
> of extra textures on the asset servers,

I doubt very much it would be significantly more images than existing
games and products use. If it turns out to be a problem, then
consider allowing remote links. I think that if you gave content
creators this option they would still opt to pay the L$10 upload fee
to get in-world security (such as it is) applied to their images.

> and you would even have to ping the hosts to see if they had been
> updated since the notecard was created.)

Not if the image is in the notecard.

> You could handle the images many email clients do (and most
> browsers if you click the right preferences) which is not to upload
> the images until you specifically ask for them, thus letting you
> read the text without getting the images.

Which is the minimal level of web security this should offer, yes.
Hyperlinks in notecards that refer to other notecards in the same
inventory could also be allowed.