[sldev] A rather perculiar idea (hear me out)

Argent Stonecutter secret.argent at gmail.com
Sun Aug 31 04:09:31 PDT 2008

On 2008-08-31, at 05:54, Gareth Nelson wrote:
> Just search through all the tags, remove src and href attributes until
> the user gives the ok.

Spammers have long since come up with solutions for that. Seriously.
That's why things like pop-up blockers are *still* not perfect.

> Another approach of course would be to modify
> the HTML rendering engine, but this would likely be quite messy and
> involve maintaining a mini-fork of mozilla.

You mean gecko. The rendering engine Mozilla uses is called gecko.

Anyway.

I'm pretty sure gecko has a mechanism for selectively disabling this
kind of thing at a low level. Thunderbird needs it.

If it doesn't have one yet, it needs one badly. So it wouldn't be a
"fork", it would be a patch delivered upstream to mozilla.org.