[sldev] Question: Replacing current group chat with XMPP?

Buckaroo Mu sldev at bitparts.org
Sun Aug 31 14:52:45 PDT 2008

Has there ever been discussion about this? Using XMPP as a replacement
for the current group chat/im system? It's standards-based, highly
active development-wise, and would make it easier to add external
IM/chat connectivity. The current group chat is one of the biggest
causes of detraction in SL - we all know it's a problem. Most of us just
deal with it, but some people are actively hostile about it.

I have no idea how this would impact the recent trademark filing of
SLim(tm), or what plans are currently underway regarding the chat system
(other than the recently added moderation tools, which won't affect the
root cause of message lag).