[sldev] Cryptographic signing of UDP packets

Robin Cornelius robin.cornelius at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 07:51:38 PST 2008

On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 3:33 PM, Tateru Nino <tateru.nino at gmail.com> wrote:
> The current protocol would mean that you couldn't rely on any cipher
> block-chaining, mind. The packets can arrive out of order, and it is not
> critical if some are missed, as currently specified - but the overhead
> for a simple symmetrical cipher with a periodic key-exchange would be
> quite low.

Yes of cause, each packet would have to be encrypted and decrypt-able
with out any other packet dependencies due to the uncertain nature of
UDP delivery.

I quite like Argent's suggestion of encrypting the whole packet as
this would not increase bandwidth as a signature would and you get
small increase in privacy as a side effect, unable to sniff UDP
packets without knowing the current key, so for debugging purposes you
could still use SLproxy if it was able to cache the keys retrieved by
caps and do the decode on the UDP and I guess for wider spread test
systems eg OpenSims etc could could always rig a know decode key if
you needed to sniff packets from multiple systems.

Having some kind of assurance of the UDP packet source is also good
for OGP/Hypergrid type situations as it makes sure the connection is
authorized by at least what ever is providing the keys via caps.

Robin