[sldev] Viewer security vulnerability disclosure group

Gordon Wendt GordonWendt at gmail.com
Tue Dec 23 19:34:28 PST 2008

Rob to channel a little you know who here I think this idea stinks.  If you
have something to say you should be able to say it to all people on Sldev
and not just to a select group of specially selected people so my suggestion
on criteria is to have no criteria.  Security isn't about being secretive
about the problems with your software, security through obscurity DOES NOT
WORK and just hurts trust in your software.

The smart way to work is to allow people to report privately if they really
want to but in general just be quick about dealing with fixing issues to
minimize the window of opportunity.  I'd also suggest that unless the person
posts a JIRA issue in SEC or requests that it be moved there to stop
blackholing issues.  Blackholing issues is generally ineffective for several
reasons

1) the main issue description usually has more than enough information to
reproduce and for issues that weren't posted originally to SEC thanks to the
email list of JIRA updates that is essentially public knowledge that you
can't recall as soon as the issue is posted.

2)  Even if one isn't true, any changes or comments giving more information
or repro instructions become public knowledge per number one up to the point
the issue is blackholed.

3) All that blackholing issues does is prevent resident input and residents
from helping to repro, debug, and fix an issue and while that isn't always
necessary I am sure that in many cases bugs could be fixed much better with
user input.

The above list may seem off topic since it mainly applys to your JIRA policy
but it really applies to LL's whole view of security (and the opinion of
most software makers) that residents can't help with security issues and
that any resident input except from a very select group of contributors or
distributors, made up in this case by patch/code submitters and third party
viewer creators respectively, should be shunned.

The take home summary of this is really that in my opinion it would be a
huge mistake to create any sort of limited "first access" system for
notification of security bugs.