[sldev] [SVC][VWR] Broken inventory and ways to break it

Robin Cornelius robin.cornelius at gmail.com
Wed Dec 24 04:21:21 PST 2008

Hey everyone,

I've just spend some time analysing an account with a broken inventory
and have discovered some interesting things. I believe I mentioned part
of this at Robs office hours and Q said that the server should try to
protect against these conditions (but the specific test case is new)

Ways to break an inventory (easiest via libomv/libsl, but also my
modifying the viewer, but i guess some horribleness could occur with
corrupt or injected packets as well.

1. Buy the contents of an object and pass back a UUID zero as the target
folder.

This generates a usable toplevel folder next to  My Inventory and
Library. This can be undone by moving the folder back to the correct
parent. This is actually quite useful.

2. Copy an inventory folder and set itself as its parent

This really confuses the viewer and the viewer shows a new complete
inventory root inside the new folder (All Texture/Trash/Lost and
Found/Scripts etc folders present in new folder as well). Seems to break
many inventory operations with the viewer

3. Create a folder with an ID the same as the inventory root

Now how this happened was anybody guess, it was either by trying to
remove a condition #2 by moving the folder back to the correct parent,
or via some unknown mechanism. In any case this can happen and i have
seen it and have an account in this state now, ps not mine, i didn't do
it ;-)

This causes failure in DragDrop cargo's where cargo==null, and triggers
VWR-2003 when a drag drop (eg send inv item to profile) occurs.

I probably should file some specific SVR issues for each of these
conditions and generate repo code (on the beta grid i guess for saftey)
but if any Linden wants a specific account that is in state #3 now i can
provide one and a support ticket ID that a user has filed.

Regards

Robin