[sldev] Viewer security vulnerability disclosure group

Tateru Nino tateru.nino at gmail.com
Wed Dec 24 05:36:50 PST 2008

Such a list is certainly relatively common practice, and with good reasons.

However, insofar as the NDAs go. No contract on earth will compel a
party to do something that they don't intend to do in the first place.
All an NDA does is basically give you the right to sue for damages in
the event that someone leaks it.

I don't think many people capable of *meeting* such damages are likely
to be on the list. Essentially, it's a threat - albeit a polite one -
and does not seem to serve Linden Lab's interest. Either you trust the
people you're putting on the list, or you don't - and if you don't,
don't add them to the list.

NDAs aren't going to make the disclosures any more secure than without.
If someone's going to leak the disclosures, they're going to do it
anyway. The SL-Views NDAs hardly held much water -- they leaked like a
sieve (I should know. Some of my private information was discussed at an
SL-Views session and then leaked to a certain well-known blogger)

Just my two bits, as a third-party (who has done this before).