[sldev] Webkit (Re: CMake preview available - please try it out!)

Rob Lanphier robla at lindenlab.com
Fri Feb 1 16:22:03 PST 2008

On 2/1/08 2:44 PM, Callum Lerwick wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-02-01 at 08:58 +0000, Robin Cornelius wrote:
>
>> Well that would be cool to have the Lindens run a repository save my
>> bandwidth. There are subtitle issues though. llmozlib is a PITA. I try
>> to package it as a separate shared library, this is fine on Debian but
>> some Ubuntus have a broken firefox build and its not possible to
>> install xulrunner-dev and firefox as theres a conflict. I suppose the
>> answer here is to to what the Lindens do now and roll llmozlib with
>> the slviewer-bin then there is no such dependency.
>> This would be fine for a linden release and probably be benifical if
>> different RC's, betas etc possibly use different llmozlibs?
>>

> llmozlib is an utter nightmare and is largely the reason my Fedora
> packaging efforts are completely stalled at this point. I'm really not
> interested in maintaining a mozilla fork, and I doubt adding another
> mozilla fork to Fedora will go over well with the Fedora powers that be.
>
> Linking with standard xulrunner would be acceptable, but it doesn't
> sound like LL is interested in officially maintaining this option. Which
> makes me not want to be stuck trying to maintain it myself.

We've been pretty frustrated with llmozlib as well, to be honest, and
we're evaluating alternatives.  One option that we're considering is Webkit:
http://webkit.org/

It's one of many, many things on our plate, and as a result, hasn't
gotten a thorough look, though Tofu has done quite a bit of tinkering.
We know that it's generally easier to build and get going with than
Mozilla, and we understand that rendering to a surface potentially will
work better with it, and that the prognosis is much better that we
wouldn't need a funky forked version of the code.  However, we could
probably use some help from someone really, really frustrated with
Mozilla to help us out with a deeper investigation.  Any volunteers?

Rob