[sldev] Webkit (Re: CMake preview available - please try it out!)

Johan Euphrosine proppy at aminche.com
Fri Feb 1 17:06:11 PST 2008

On Feb 2, 2008 1:22 AM, Rob Lanphier <robla at lindenlab.com> wrote:
> We've been pretty frustrated with llmozlib as well, to be honest, and
> we're evaluating alternatives.  One option that we're considering is Webkit:
> http://webkit.org/
>
> It's one of many, many things on our plate, and as a result, hasn't
> gotten a thorough look, though Tofu has done quite a bit of tinkering.
> We know that it's generally easier to build and get going with than
> Mozilla, and we understand that rendering to a surface potentially will
> work better with it, and that the prognosis is much better that we
> wouldn't need a funky forked version of the code.  However, we could
> probably use some help from someone really, really frustrated with
> Mozilla to help us out with a deeper investigation.  Any volunteers?

Seem there is already some investigation done into rendering webkit in opengl:
http://www.atoker.com/blog/2008/01/28/accelerating-webkit-with-openvg/

And I believe rendering to a surface should be easily achievable by
using cairo Image backend.

Have you get in touch with these very people ?

They seems to know that you're intersted into the webkit+opengl thing:

quote:
"This feature can be used both to acelerate WebKit/GTK+ and in a
standalone configuration with only a GLib dependency, as requested by
Linden Lab who are looking at integrating WebKit into their virtual 3D
environment."
--
bou ^