[sldev] Notifications redesign

Lawson English lenglish5 at cox.net
Tue Feb 12 18:57:06 PST 2008

Kent Quirk (Q Linden) wrote:

[...]
> In the long run (which -- fair warning -- is several months away), we
> hope to have a notification code path that is comprehensible,
> extensible, localizable, and unified, as well as a UI that is
> attractive and works well.
>
> So we'd dearly love your constructive feedback, in particular if you
> think there are additional considerations I haven't mentioned.
>
> Thanks,

Please do away with the design philosophy that led to the existence of
the Dialog flag byte in the ImprovedInstantMessage packet. While you are
trying to make the user interface work better, its STILL not a good idea
to slave the protocol and the user interface together that way. Consider
abstracting things so that different user interfaces done by different
companies and individuals might rationally be built on top of the same
notification system.

Lawson