[sldev] Notifications redesign

Celierra Darling Celierra at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 00:52:53 PST 2008

On Feb 13, 2008 1:34 AM, Ryan Williams (Which) <rdw at lindenlab.com> wrote:
> Argent Stonecutter wrote:
> > The alarm log should probably go into chat log (and by the way I like
> > having the URL of teleports in the chat log, that's an easy and clever
> > way to handle teleport history... though that should really be a
> > secondlife: URL and not a SLURL).
> >
> Speaking purely personally, I'd rather we didn't put more into the chat
> log.  I like to use the chat log for, well, chat.  I feel like it's
> almost to the point where I need a perl script just to parse my log and
> tell me what was said in the last 5 minutes, instead of poking through a
> jillion friend notifications, voice connection status, etc.  Hell, I do
> use a perl script to generate transcripts for my office hours.  Perhaps
> there could be a distinction between all events that have happened to
> you and the actual spoken-by-avatars chat history.  Or, to propose a
> pony that is probably needlessly generic, chat log filtering by type.
>
> Yes, I know, wah wah wah.  Just wanted to throw my two cents in here.
>
> Oh and I agree that it should be a secondlife: url.
>
> -RYaN

It sounds like we'd want both a chat log and an "event log", where the
event log can sometimes be integrated into the chat log if desired
(maybe like IMs can be now).  And the current usage of the "Near Me"
tab seems a bit incongruous with its name - it's logging events too,
so it's handling things that aren't necessarily 'near me'.

To kill multiple birds with a stone, I might suggest offering
'Communicate' tabs with functions like:
- Full history
- Nearby chat
- Event log (maybe not as part of "Communicate")
- All chat (maybe?)

The history tab could have the current usage of "Near Me" (chat + all
events), while a different tab would now truly mean 'just chat
occurring around me'.  The event log and "all chat" are complements of
each other, though I'm not sure "all chat" would really be so useful
(and thus the 'maybe' note).

I'm also not sure of how these should be logged.  It could be done in
one big file; I think a bunch of IM programs use XML for event logging
amongst the chat.  Or, maybe "all chat" should go into 'chat.txt', and
all events into some other file.

Cel