[sldev] Notifications redesign

Tateru Nino tateru.nino at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 22:17:10 PST 2008

Lawson English wrote:
> Kent Quirk (Q Linden) wrote:
> [...]
>>  In fact, it's a design goal of the project to separate the
>> notification queue management from the UI presentation layer.
>
> Hooray!. Once that is done, you can experiment with things until you
> come up with something that makes most people at least somewhat
> less-unhappy. ;-)
>
> Without it, you guys are really stuck with making minor tweaks to the
> same interface, which makes *everyone* unhappy (especially, I am
> guessing, the guys trying to fix the user interface).

Well, the logical first step is to generalize and abstract the
notifications, then refit the transmission mechanism. The UI can be
looked at as a separate project, and any additional (if any) refitting
the notification transmission system requires should be minor when it
comes to actually implementing the UI.

That also gives you plenty of time to figure out what your goals are for
the UI portion itself. We've already established a pretty reasonable
sounding set of goals for the underlying architecture by the sound of it.

--
Tateru Nino
http://www.massively.com/