[sldev] [VWR] Wireshark disector for SL protocol

Lawson English lenglish5 at cox.net
Sat Feb 23 19:16:43 PST 2008

Robin Cornelius wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Has anyone got/written or knows about a wireshark/ethereal dissector for
> the secondlife protocol.
>
> I've started writing one, actually one that is generated from the
> message template for easy maintenance. But though i would ask before i
> spend any more time on it to see if some one else has done one first?
>
> Thanks
>
> Robin

I've got bits and pieces of one written in python. Yours may be further
along then mine. Please make it available in the

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Example_protocol_code

as part of the

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/AW_Groupies#Documenting_current_protocols

BTW, is there a specific reason why you don't leverage libsl? For a long
time, I couldn't because of endian issues on PowerPC Macs, but I'm not
sure why YOU need to reinvent the wheel here. At the least, you can use
WireShark to monitor the client-side traffic since all CAPs info to the
server is sent via https while all the traffic sent to SLProxy is sent
via HTTP and honestly the most interesting stuff is all being sent via CAPs.

Lawson