[sldev] Attempt at replacing Vivox client

Ryan McDougall ryan at 3di.jp
Mon Feb 25 17:42:24 PST 2008

I have been toying around with some code to replace the client-side
vivox binary voice component in the SL viewer. In keeping with the
release early+often motto of open source, Ive thrown the current state
of the code on sourceforge: https://sourceforge.net/projects/voipforvw

Its just a bit of C++ glue, and some libraries included in the VCS, and
doesn't even build on anything but linux, but maybe there is some latent
interest in working on this together?

Note:

- This is sub-Alpha code, it is not ready for anyone except developers!

- It bears repeating: this doesn't work and will take much effort before
it does. It a first step.

- This doesn't say anything about implementing the server-side voice
functionality, although Asterisk is what I'm using to test with.

- This is clean-room engineered. I did not view the slviewer source code
at all in order to write this. I created the code only from the state
diagram included in svn, and from the second life wiki:
http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Voice/Technical

- Its GPL licensed, since the SIP library is GPL. The XML is zlib and
the sockets are public domain. There is some boost as well, and that
bsd-ish.

Let me know if there is any interest in such a thing, or if there are
some recommendations or offers of help.

Cheers,