[sldev] Attempt at replacing Vivox client

Dana Fagerstrom Dana.Fagerstrom at Sun.COM
Tue Feb 26 05:38:03 PST 2008

Hmmmm...  On second thought, jVoiceBridge would introduce a completely
different implementation of voice for SL.  It's a great alternative but
it clearly won't deal with the vivox side of the equation.

> Thanks for getting this started.  I'd like to offer an alternative.
> jVoiceBridge is the voice component to Project Wonderland and is offered
> as a separate/standalone component. Take a look at
> https://jvoicebridge.dev.java.net/.  It's available under GPL2.

> Ryan McDougall wrote:
>> I have been toying around with some code to replace the client-side
>> vivox binary voice component in the SL viewer. In keeping with the
>> release early+often motto of open source, Ive thrown the current state
>> of the code on sourceforge: https://sourceforge.net/projects/voipforvw
>>
>> Its just a bit of C++ glue, and some libraries included in the VCS, and
>> doesn't even build on anything but linux, but maybe there is some latent
>> interest in working on this together?
>>
>> Note:
>>
>> - This is sub-Alpha code, it is not ready for anyone except developers!
>>
>> - It bears repeating: this doesn't work and will take much effort before
>> it does. It a first step.
>>
>> - This doesn't say anything about implementing the server-side voice
>> functionality, although Asterisk is what I'm using to test with.
>>
>> - This is clean-room engineered. I did not view the slviewer source code
>> at all in order to write this. I created the code only from the state
>> diagram included in svn, and from the second life wiki:
>> http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Voice/Technical
>>
>> - Its GPL licensed, since the SIP library is GPL. The XML is zlib and
>> the sockets are public domain. There is some boost as well, and that
>> bsd-ish.
>>
>> Let me know if there is any interest in such a thing, or if there are
>> some recommendations or offers of help.
>>
>> Cheers,

>> /index.html

Dana Fagerstrom                        Phone: 877.851.6343
Sun Services                             Fax: 877.851.6343
400 Atrium Dr.                         Email: dana.fagerstrom at Sun.COM
Somerset, NJ  08873               SneakerNet: USMT01