[sldev] Any OpenGL expert could comment on VWR-5077?

Mike Monkowski monkowsk at watson.ibm.com
Tue Feb 26 08:08:11 PST 2008

I'm looking into crashes with Intel graphics chipsets.  I've posted four
sets of diagnostics at http://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-5077  In
all cases, it crashed the display driver and left the OpenGL driver
spinning in loops.

Intel support says they do not support Second Life even though they have
a forum dedicated to Second Life, and in the forum they say to contact
support if you have any problems.  Go figure.

It appears that the crash was caused by calls to glClear and
SwapBuffers.  I have two instances of each.  I know basically what these
functions are supposed to do, but I wonder if anyone familiar with
OpenGL could tell me where to look to find the root cause of the problem.

Note that the viewer does not crash every time, and in fact, I haven't
figured out how to reproducably get it to crash.  So most of the time,
it works.  And apparently with other vendor's graphics cards, it always
works.  I'm guessing that it's a problem with threads stomping on each
other.  It may be threads within the OpenGL driver, though.

So my specific questions are:  Where do glClear and SwapBuffers look to
find their parameters for clearing and swapping?  Are OpenGL functions
being called from more than one thread in SecondLife?  Has anyone seen
anything like this before?

Mike