[sldev] Frequent bugs with difficult repros

Tateru Nino tateru.nino at gmail.com
Fri Feb 29 08:56:38 PST 2008

Kelly Linden wrote:
> Tateru Nino wrote:
>>

>> Soft wrote:

>>> I'm pretty sure TCP is just a fad.
>>>
>>> Actually, I thought this had already gone TCP. I'll ask around, but if
>>> any other Lindens want to chime in...
>>>
>> Depends. Even if it is tcp, application level sequencing and controls
>> over messaging flow, acknowledgement and order can still duplicate
>> your data - depending on whether you're second guessing the transport
>> with your own scheme, and how you've got it implemented.
>>
> Those would be what we would call "bugs", I hope.  :D  I'm not the
> most up to date (my head is far too deep in havok4 for the past 6
> months), but I don't think chat or IM have moved to TCP, I believe
> they still use our home brewed "reliable" UDP messaging transport layer.

I believe that is also the case. Reliable is such an interesting word.
Very contextual. :)

That said, the algorithms that govern the UDP transport actually do a
surprisingly good job under very trying and harsh circumstances -
however circumstances and workloads just aren't what they once were.
Something I think we all recognize.