[META] Re: [sldev] Viewer Source Release of RC-1.18.6.2

Mike Monkowski monkowsk at watson.ibm.com
Thu Jan 3 09:46:16 PST 2008

Alissa,
     I can understand your frustration, and I am aware of the generous
contributions that you have made toward improving the viewer, but from
an impartial viewpoint, this seems a bit harsh.
     Yes, the version number changed, but there have been several notes
on how to get around the forced updates:  edit the version number or
pick another channel name.  (I guess somebody ought to put that out on
the Wiki)
     I really doubt that anything else changed.  I have no problem
running the viewer compiled from the 76116 source with the version
number changed to 76453.
     Between December 29 and January 2, I would guess there were 0 work
days for most employees of Linden Lab.  Actually there may have been 0
between December 22 and January 2.  It's an important family-oriented
holiday time in the US.
     As important as SecondLife may be, real life is always more
important. :-)
     I agree with you that more transparency would improve the overall
productivity, but I imagine in the depths of
http://sljirastats.com/jira_search.php?search=30 there's not a lot of
time for most LL developers to think about actually improving the
process.  We hope however, that a few are dedicated to that task.
     I hope you continue your contributions to SL, Alissa.

Mike